Powered By Blogger

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Hanging in There

Thought for the day:



"Smooth Seas do not make skillful sailors."—African proverb


I'm experiencing boredom. It has been raining so much that I can't get outside to walk, or garden, or do anything. I'd like nothing better than to feel the sun on my face and a warm breeze in my hair.


The George Forman Grill my daughters gave me is helping with the boredom involving food. I love the thing, I could be a spokesperson! It's amazing how much grilling chicken, beef, fish, or veggies can change the taste from ho-hum to OH! YUM!


A little marinating also boosts the flavor.


Something else that occurred to me is that the more flavor a dish has, increases it's satisfaction factor. When food really satisfies me I eat less of it. I used to look at a little 3 oz. piece of chicken breast or a 4 oz steak and think, where is the rest?


Give it some flavor, slice it up and add some sauteed mushrooms, bell pepper, and onions. Put some seasonal veggies on the side add a salad with lite dressing and that little piece of protein has become a very satisfying meal.


I really can't say enough about having good quality small kitchen appliances. Paying a little extra money for something can seem a little frivolous at first; but you'll never regret getting quality.


I have two personally tested recommendations, the George Foreman Grill and Kitchen-Aid blender. The grill is wonderful, it heats to 400 degrees within 5 minutes and cooks both sides at once. I have a model that has non-stick removable cooking plates that can go in the sink or dishwasher making clean-up easy. I love my Kitchen-Aid blender and use it 4 to 5 times a week. It has it has three normal settings as well as an ice crushing setting and a smoothie setting, lots of power and it is easy to clean. I can't tell you how many cheaper blenders I have been through that wore out quickly and just did not do a good job, making this one well worth the extra money.


Now for a few food product recommendations.


Dijonase, it is made by Hellman's and is a creamy Dijon mustard that has 5 calories per 1 teaspoon serving,  I spread it on sandwiches, mix it with a teaspoon of honey and a tablespoon of lite mayo to make a dip for veggies or pretzels, I also add it to salad dressing and marinades.


Frank's Original Red Hot Sauce, just a little of this red pepper sauce really makes every thing just taste better without necessarily making it taste hot. I use it in eggs, collard greens, veggies, fish, chicken, I could go on and on.


Fat Free Coffee-mate, adding this to almost anything will make it taste creamier and just 2 teaspoons of the French Vanilla flavor gives smoothies or a packet of 25 calorie hot chocolate a creamy flavor boost.


And last but certainly not the least of the products I depend upon.


Torani Sugar Free syrups, they come in lots of flavors but my favorites are vanilla, chocolate and hazelnut, and a little goes a long way down the flavor trail. I add them to my morning lite soy latte, plain or vanilla frozen or Greek yogurts, smoothies, fresh fruit salads and oatmeal.

There is really no end to what you can do with this sweet stuff.


Now, what will I make for dinner?

No comments: