Powered By Blogger

Friday, April 9, 2010

An Obstacle

Thought for the day:

“If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.”
Frank A. Clark



What I thought was just allergies a couple of days ago has turned out to be a full blown cold. I've been inside and on the couch all of yesterday and most of today. This afternoon, I finally started to feel human again, and hungry. Having spent the previous 36 hours really not interested in anything that wasn't warm, clear, and liquid, my stomach was doing some major protesting.


Boiled eggs and toast with fruit spread took the edge off my hunger (Thank you Easter Bunny), and gave me a chance to think about putting together a healthy evening meal that would include lean protein and veggies; something simple, that had lots of flavor and could be made from things on hand.


I had a taste for something spicy and I love Indian food, so I substituted fat free Greek yogurt, added hot sauce and omitted the oil in a recipe I liked for Tandoori Chicken. I liked the results.


Tandoori Chicken

½ cup of fat free plain Greek Yogurt
¼ cup of finely chopped red onion
1 tablespoon of finely chopped crystallized ginger
1 tablespoon of rice vinegar
2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon of minced garlic
2 teaspoons of paprika
½ teaspoon of ground cumin
½ teaspoon of ground coriander
½ teaspoon of cinnamon
¼ teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of hot sauce
1 pound of chicken tenders


Combine all ingredients except the chicken in a ZIP-Lock bag. Add the chicken and squeeze out as much air as possible, seal the bag and turn to get the chicken coated. Refrigerate, turning the bag occasionally for two to three hours.


Preheat the broiler to 500 degrees and spray the broiler pan with non-stick spray.


Remove the chicken from the yogurt mixture and arrange on the broiler pan, broil five inches from the heat for about four minutes, turn and broil for another four minutes or until cooked through.


Serves 4, about 3 oz each…and only 3 Weight Watchers points!



I also altered a nother recipe for a side.



Curried Cauliflower and Carrots with Raisins and Almonds

1 head of cauliflower (About 1 ½ pounds)
½ Pound of carrots, peeled and cut in 1 inch pieces
2 tablespoons of slivered blanched almonds
4 teaspoons of olive oil
2 teaspoons of minced garlic
1/3 cup of golden raisins
¼ cup of chopped dried apricots
¼ teaspoon of salt
½ teaspoon of curry powder
1/8 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons of chopped parsley


Bring a large pan of water to a boil, add the vegetables and cook until tender, about 7-10 minutes, drain and keep warm.


Spread the almonds in a heavy non-stick skillet over medium heat, toast shaking the pan occasionally, until golden, Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.


Heat the oil in the same skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook stirring constantly for about 1-2 minutes. Add the vegetables, raisins, salt, curry powder and pepper. Cook stirring until heated through, top with the parsley and serve.


Serves 4 about 1 ½ cups and only 4 Weight Watchers points!


I substituted cauliflower for potatoes in this recipe. I think butternut squash, peeled and cubed, would also work well.


I served both dishes with brown rice.


Yummm!


OK! The appetite is back.


Now I have to get moving again, I don't want to gain back those losses...


Arggg!

No comments: