Powered By Blogger

Monday, March 29, 2010

Planing, it's just another baby step.

Thought for the day:

"In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable."

Dwight D. Eisenhower




Today was employee appreciation day at work. Although I love to be appreciated, I was not sure about the luncheon that was being provided. As usual, the offerings were pretty tempting and the menu we were given last week sure sounded good; Croissant Sandwiches, Chips, Pasta House Salad, and an assortment of cookies for desert.

Sounds yummy, huh? I thought so, but it's a little too very easy to get off program and I'm not that strong.

I needed a plan.

It started with last night's dinner. Fix something I love, that is a little extravagant, and plan enough leftovers to take for my lunch.

I made a pineapple-mango salsa to serve with broiled Ahi Tuna, served with butternut squash that I had sautéed with bell peppers and onions, and accompanied by fresh green beans with fingerling potatoes.

For dessert, I made pear and apple tartlets (only 50 calories each). Extravagant!

I left for work with a single portion of this meal in my lunch pail with some fresh fruit (strawberries and blueberries - my favorite) and a plan to have just a little of the Pasta House Salad, then go heat and eat my delicious, completely on program lunch.

Lunch time came and reality set in. The cookies smelled so good! I took my place in line and watched as plates were being filled with croissants, chicken salad, roast beef, ham, turkey, cheeses and lots of chips. In my mind I visualized all of the butter in the croissants, the Mayo in the chicken salad, and the fat on the roast beef and ham. It made it a lot easier to pass those things up. Then the moment of truth came. I saw someone lift the Pasta House Salad, dripping with salad dressing, onto a plate and I just couldn't take it anymore.

I turned around, went back to my desk, retrieved the lunch I brought, and warmed it in the microwave. I felt far more spoiled eating the great meal I had brought for myself than even one of the cookies that were previously beckoning me.

I learned a valuable lesson today; planning really does pay off!

Just another baby step...





-

No comments: