Powered By Blogger

Sunday, September 19, 2010

I'm Not A Health Nut

Thought for the day:


"The best six doctors anywhere

And no one can deny it
Are sunshine, water, rest, and air
Exercise and diet.
These six will gladly you attend
If only you are willing
Your mind they'll ease
Your will they'll mend
And charge you not a shilling."


~Nursery rhyme quoted by Wayne Fields, What the River Knows, 1990
 
 
When I declined a doughnut at work last week a coworker accused me of being a "Health Nut". I had to laugh out loud, because I can't think of anything further from the truth. I've committed myself to attaining a healthy weight and changing my lifestyle to achieve and I hope, maintain that goal.  
 
 
Not exactly the stuff of which "Health Nuts" are made, at least I don't think so. I know for a fact that I will, one day, eat a doughnut. I'll do it when I have planned for it and decided that a doughnut is really where I want to use my points. I think that having treats that aren't necessarily healthy is not going to kill anyone, but for me would impede my progress toward a healthy Body Mass Index. I also know doughnuts are one of my trigger foods and I would certainly not stop with just one.
 
 
Yesterday was weigh in day and  I'm proud to say I lost 3.4 lbs. YEA! ME!
 
 
I haven't really done anything different the past two weeks, those stubborn pounds have just been coming off, maybe my fat cells have just gotten tired of fighting so hard to stay on my butt. Anyway, the losses of last couple of weeks feel really good and have made up for that plateau I was so frustrated about.
 
 
This weekend, I'm not reviewing the past week, I'm just enjoying the results.
 
 
Here is a recipe for what I think is a pretty good swap for a "McDonald's Sausage and Egg Burrito".


 
Breakfast Burrito



Ingredients

1/4 cup Egg Beaters
1 Fully cooked turkey sausage link

1/8 cup shredded fat-free cheddar cheese

1 Mission® Carb balance whole wheat tortillas - fajita size

1/8 cup salsa

cooking spray


Instructions

Spray a microwave safe bowl or cup with cooking spray , add the eggbeaters and microwave for 1-1.5 minutes or until done. while the eggbeaters are cooking cut the sausage link into 1/4" slices. when the eggbeaters are cooked, remove from the microwave and heat the sausage for .5-1 min or until hot, remove and place the tortilla in the microwave and heat 5-10 seconds and remove. place the eggbeaters on the tortilla, breaking them up, add the sausage, cheese and salsa and roll up to contain the filling. Enjoy.

I often eat this during my commute to work.

No comments: