Powered By Blogger

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Gains not losses

Thought for the day:

I have gained and lost the same ten pounds so many times over and over again my cellulite must have déjà vu. ~Jane Wagner


Its been three weeks since I've posted, I just felt so depressed over things beyond my control that I couldn't bring myself to get on line and post. I've done what I usually do when depressed; cook and eat, I gained 5 pounds, now I feel like a Yo-Yo.

I have came up with some great new recipes to share.

I don't want to beat myself up about it. Been there done that. I just want to get back on track and in control.

Here is the plan.

Track every thing that crosses my lips.
Walk or perform some kind of exercise daily.
Drink at least 6 glasses of water a day.
Measure and weigh my food and stay within my points allowance.

This plan does work when I actually stick with it. It has helped me lose in excess of 40 pounds and I was getting pretty close to having 50 pounds off. I have simply gotten off track, off the Waggon and out of control again.

Overeating and eating the wrong things is what has happened. Why it happened? I've been having more than my share of "Poor Baby" moments; I'm an emotional eater and my emotions have been in an upheaval over stuff that I can do nothing about, but keep my reactions professional.

Thankfully this weeks end has brought wonderful news that I think will change the atmosphere where I work from one that has felt quite hostile back to the usually pleasant work environment that it once was. Granted no work place is perfect and mine has always had its ups and downs, but the past 9 months have been rather extenuating. I'm looking forward to better days ahead and I believe this change in the work place paradigm will be positive for everyone concerned. last Friday my coworkers and I were almost giddy in anticipation of the changes to come.


Shrimp and Grits



Weight watchers points per serving: 8

Servings: 4
Preparation Time: 30 min

Cooking Time: 15 min

A Southern Classic. This tastes like a little bit of heaven on a fork.

Ingredients

1/2 cup(s) onion(s), Chopped

1/2 cup(s) bell pepper(s), Red and green chopped

1 tsp olive oil

8 slice(s) uncooked turkey bacon, cut in half

1/2 cup(s) uncooked corn grits

1 cup(s) fat-free half-and-half

1 cup(s) water

1/4 tsp table salt

1/8 tsp black pepper, dash or to taste

3 oz Kraft Deluxe 1/2 the fat made with 2% milk cheese, about 4 slices

1 pound(s) shrimp, extra jumbo shrimp peeled and deveined about 16  pieces
Instructions

Spray a non-stick skillet with cooking spray. wrap the shrimp with bacon and secure with a toothpick. Place the shrimp in the skillet and cook over medium heat until the shrimp is pink and the bacon is crispy, or cook on a George Forman Grill at 425 degrees for about 5 minutes. Remove the shrimp from skillet and set aside. Add olive oil and vegetables to the skillet and cook until the onions are soft and transparent, about 5 minutes. Return the shrimp to the skillet and heat through. Meanwhile bring the water and half and half to a low boil in a saucepan over medium heat and add salt and grits. Cook for about 3 minutes or until the grits are soft and the liquid is absorbed. Tear the cheese into small pieces and stir into the grits until melted. Place grits in a shallow serving dish and top with the shrimp and vegetables, Or plate up with 1/4 of the grits on each plate and top with 1/4 of the shrimp.


Better Banana Bread



Weight watchers points per serving: 2
Servings: 10

Preparation Time: 15 min

Cooking Time: 55 to 60 min

Level of Difficulty: Easy

Yes you can have a big fat slice of Banana Bread and still get into your skinny jeans. What could be better?

Ingredients

3 large banana(s), very ripe mashed, about 1 1/2 cups

1 cup(s) whole wheat flour

1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour

3/4 cup(s) SPLENDA® SPLENDA No Calorie Sweetener

1/4 cup(s) unpacked light brown sugar

2 Tbsp Promise Light Buttery Soft Margarine

1/2 cup(s) unsweetened applesauce

2 1/2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

1/2 tsp table salt

1/4 cup(s) Egg Beaters Refrigerated Egg Whites

1/4 cup(s) Egg Beaters Egg Beaters

1 spray(s) cooking spray


Instructions

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9"x5" loaf pan with cooking spray.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the white and wheat flours, baking powder, salt Splenda and cinnamon. Mix well. In a medium mixing bowl combine the mashed banana, apple sauce, egg whites and egg beaters, margarine, vanilla and brown sugar. Whisk together until thoroughly mixed. Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until blended. Pour into a 9"x5" loaf pan and bake in the oven for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely and cut into 10 slices about 3/4" thick.

No comments: